Battea was once again pleased to sponsor for the Hedge Funds Care West Coast Committee of Hope’s Annual Poker Tournament, its fifth annual event. The event, which took place on January 15th, 2015 and was attended by hundreds of hedge fund industry players, was held at the AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants. The poker-themed night raised money for Hedge Funds Care, also known as Help For Children (HFC), an international charity, supported largely by the hedge fund industry, whose sole mission is preventing and treating child abuse. It has 2 goals: to raise as much money as possible to fund the programs that do the preventing and treating and to showcase the philanthropy of the hedge fund and finance industries.
This mission is accomplished by raising money and granting it to child welfare organizations throughout the United States, Canada, the Cayman Islands, and the United Kingdom. Help For Children is the only grant making public charity that focuses exclusively on funding this cause. Since its inception in 1998, HFC has awarded over 1,100 grants totaling more than $41 million.
In the U.S., fundraising events are currently held in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, and San Francisco. Events are also held in Grand Cayman, London, Toronto, and Ireland. Money raised is distributed locally to community-based nonprofit organizations that address child abuse in the following ways:
- EDUCATION to enhance awareness and understanding of abuse and neglect for children, parents, and professionals in the community
- PREVENTION services to at-risk children and families
- INTERVENTIONS for children who have been physically or sexually abused and support services to non-offending family members
- RESEARCH on best practices in child welfare
- ADVOCACY to improve child welfare
- TRAINING to equip paraprofessionals and professionals to provide child abuse prevention and treatment services