Battea was once again pleased to act as lead sponsor for the Hedge Funds Care West Coast Committee of Hope’s 4th Annual Poker Tournament. The event, which took place on January 16th, 2014, was held at the AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants. AT&T Park is the first privately financed ballpark in Major League Baseball since 1962 and offers breathtaking views. Over 300 hedge fund industry insiders attended the poker themed fundraiser event, which raised money for Hedge Funds Care. Hedge Funds Care, also known as Help For Children (HFC), is an international charity, supported largely by the hedge fund industry, whose sole mission is preventing and treating child abuse. It has 2 goals:
- To raise as much money as possible to fund the programs that do the
preventing and treating.
- To showcase the philanthropy of the hedge fund and finance industries.
This mission is accomplished by raising money and granting it to child welfare organizations throughout the United States, Canada, the Cayman Islands, and the United Kingdom. Help For Children is the only grant making public charity that focuses exclusively on funding this cause. Since its inception in 1998, HFC has awarded over 1,000 grants totaling more than $37 million.
In the U.S., fundraising events are currently held in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, and San Francisco. Events are also held in Grand Cayman, London, Toronto, and Ireland. Money raised is distributed locally to community-based nonprofit organizations that address child abuse in the following ways:
- EDUCATION to enhance awareness and understanding of abuse and
neglect for children, parents, and professionals in the community
- PREVENTION services to at-risk children and families
- INTERVENTIONS for children who have been physically or sexually
abused and support services to non-offending family members
- RESEARCH on best practices in child welfare
- ADVOCACY to improve child welfare
- TRAINING to equip paraprofessionals and professionals to provide
child abuse prevention and treatment services
Battea’s Trent Calabretta serves on the Hedge Funds Care West Coast committee and helped organize the event. For more information or to get involved, please visit Hedge Funds Care.